Skip to main content

A happy hour called fire drill

We had a fire drill at work today and the experience evoked several memories and questions. When I was in school I had never participated in a fire drill and not because I didn't want to but simply because it was unheard of. Once in a year the fire department would send their personnel to demonstrate the horrors of fire and how to fight it. It used to be a fun day. Everyone would assemble in the play ground and wait in the scorching sun, squatting in the dust (much to the displeasure of mom's who had to take care of the dirt afflicted uniform). To overcome the boredom we would indulge ourselves in a variety of activities like archery (aka pelting stones at other kids), making crude drawings in the dirt or giggling away at everything and nothing! Well the fire fighters would eventually get there and start their demonstration/educations drill. On one such occasion I clearly recall that one of the firemen wanted to play trivia to test our knowledge of fire emergency. So he asked us, "suppose there is a fire in the building and you have to call the fire department from a public telephone, would you use a new 1 rupee coin or old one (the treasury had floated a new 1 rupee coin)?". After many kids answered unsuccessfully our HM (head mistress) Sujaya Devi was asked the same question. Now hold your breath because you are going to need it!! She said, 'I would of course use the new 1 rupee coin'. And she smirked at us thinking 'stupid kids don’t even know how to call the fire department'. The fireman replied 'madam, of all the people in the school you should know better!! Calls to the fire department are free from any telephone (like 911)'. Hearing this there was huge roar of laughter from the masses and by far I have never seen a better applause (or ridicule) in the history of the school barring once when the national flag ended in the chief guest's hand instead of unfurling on the flag pole! But that’s a story for another time.




Well, coming back to the fire drill at my office. As I was walking down the stairwell I saw a whole lot of people following suit. One thing I saw in common was that they all seemed to be happy that something had shaken them out of their boredom/routine. We all went to the designated safe areas in the parking and huddled in groups chatting. Some people utilized the opportunity to make a short visit to Panera. All was well and we all were happy with ourselves for the drill had been a success. But that only lasted a few more minutes until we had to make our way back up the stairs (owing to the overcrowded elevators)!!

Comments

  1. I remember the day very well. Sujaya was trying to hide her face... that fire guy even said, if your school is on fire your teacher will be standing in front of a udapi hotel asking for a new one rupee coin.
    Well written...

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

It's a dog's world

It's been a long time since I wrote and I have been meaning to write for quite some time now. But the million dollar question was what do I write about?!! So after much contemplation and a whole box of cookies I decided to write about dogs, yes you heard it right "DOGS" or rather dogs at work. Now most of your might be wondering whether I'm referring to my co-workers or even better myself, but let me assure you I am talking about the four legged fur balls often called man's best friend. It so happens that my past-employer has a dog friendly workplace and employees are encouraged to bring their pet pooches to work. Well I did know that this was the case and I was even asked by one of my interviewers whether I was allergic to dogs. Well, luckily I wasn't but I was afraid to disclose that I had a mortal fear of dogs owing to a not so pleasant experience in my childhood! I probably was about 8-9 years old when I was chased by one of those community dogs (again, I

Executive brain fart

Of late I have read many blogs of Indians who in their endeavor to display their knowledge of the human psyche, have achieved nothing but tarnished the global image of Indians. By this I do not state that Indians are seen in divine light internationally. Like any other person from a myriad of nationalities, we Indians have a certain negative and positive attributes when it comes to work culture, living habits etc... These aforementioned self proclaimed intellectuals cater nothing but to reaffirm the misconceptions held by others. Indians have often been portrayed as corrupt, lazy, lacking work ethics and ignorant of the word punctuality. More people associate Indians with 'Indian Standard Time' (which usually means 10 or more minutes later than the stipulated time). I do not wish to answer everything posted online but I wish to send a message to these people to consider the repercussions of their posts. What is more painful is that young Indians pursuing MBA's and